Ground Survival Tactics Instructor
This 32-hour course is designed to develop skills for a “grounded” assault on the officer, as well as to promote techniques for self-protection that effectively and efficiently deal with aggravated-assault level resistors who are attempting to disarm the officer.
Within this class the participant will learn and understand:
- The principles of Ground Survival Tactics
- The principles of handgun defense and disarming
- Targeting principles
- Proper psychomotor skills involved in their employment
- How the various components of Level Two and Three Tactics are applied to these serious and potentially life threatening situations
- The guidelines that allow for the use of this level of force
- The guidelines surrounding the use of force with an elevated level of threat
- Proper means of instruction and testing
- Theoretical background to analyze other similar programs in order to develop agency specific programs consistent with agency policies
- Overview GST Tactics principles and concepts
- Overview F R/D tactics principles, concepts and statistics
- Striking tactics and drills
- Supine Striking Tactics and Drills
- Handgun retention
- Physiology of a ground fight
- Training equipment needs; equipment list
- Gun Retention and Disarming in a ground fight
- Braced-contact shooting principles and secondary weapons use
- Disarm attempts and Use Of Force
To register for the course, contact your Training Manager to assign the training to you via LMS.
Upcoming classes are listed below. Registration does not guarantee acceptance into the class. Selections will be completed four weeks prior to the class; those accepted into the class will receive a notification at that time.
Successful completion of Defensive Tactics Instructor Course #2076
Due to the physical nature of this class and in order to minimize injury and fatigue during the week long course, participants will be required to pass a Physical Ability Test.
- 30 6-count burpees in 3 minutes or less
- 35 sit-Ups in 1 minute
- Review testing requirements here
Who can attend our classes?
Class is only open to active law enforcement officers who meet the prerequisites.
- Fully equipped duty belt and the inert-firearm carried on duty
- Tape for wrists
- Elbow, forearm and kneepads
- Mouth guard
Visitors attending training at the WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus.
Visitors not wearing agency identification will need check in at the front desk and wear a clip-on visitor's identification card.
RegulationGround Survival Tactics Instructor Recertification Course #2287 must be attended every three years to maintain certification.
Classes will be held 0800 – 1700 Monday through Thursday.
Deadline to cancel is 7 days prior to class. Send an email to email@example.com to cancel your registration.
$100 no show or late cancellation fe