Impact Weapons Instructor
This 40-Hour class is designed to train the participant in the safe and efficacious use and instructional skills of the most common type of impact weapons that are available to criminal justice personnel today; expandable, riot, and patrol-carry batons, the side-handle batons (previously covered only in course #2072) and flashlights will be covered. The participant will learn and understand:
- The typical situations that allow for the use of the various types of batons
- The components of impact weapon use including:
- Psychomotor skills involved in impact weapon application
- Proper means of instruction and testing
- Theoretical background to analyze other impact weapon programs in order to develop agency specific programs.
- The probable medical implications associated with these techniques
- The physiology of a confrontation
- The biomechanical principles of Impact weapon tactics and how they relate to instruction and force-systems implementation.
Subjects Covered during the course include:
- Baton Nomenclature, physics, and principles
- General Guidelines for use of Impact Weapons
- Baton Warm-up and Strengthening Exercises
- Standard Baton, expandable baton, flashlight, and riot baton techniques
- Conduct of Safe and Effective Training
- Testing, Open and Closed Impact Weapon Skills
To register for the course, contact your Training Manager to assign the training to you via LMS.
Upcoming classes are listed below. Registration does not guarantee acceptance into the class. Selections will be completed four weeks prior to the class; those accepted into the class will receive a notification at that time.
If classes are full, or not available, please complete the Course Interest Survey. This is not a waiting list, but instead helps us see if there is enough interest to create another class. If we schedule a session, we will contact everyone who has completed the survey and request that registration be completed.
Who can attend our classes?
Class is only open to active law enforcement officers who meet the prerequisites.
Pre-Course workParticipants must read and answer questions for chapters 2-5 & 8 in the following book:
- Sport Mechanics for Coaches
- (see www.humankinetics.com to purchase the book)
There will be a written test on Chapters 2-5, and 8.
Visitors attending training at the WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus.
Visitors not wearing agency identification will need check in at the front desk and wear a clip-on visitor's identification card.
RegulationImpact Weapons Instructor Recertification Course #2173 must be attended every three years to maintain certification active.
Classes will be held 0800 – 1700 Monday through Friday.
Dates and locations will vary by session.
Deadline to cancel is 7 days prior to class. Send an email to email@example.com to cancel your registration.
$375 no show or late cancellation fee.