The 16-hour SIRT Instructor Course is directed toward law enforcement Master Firearms and Defensive Tactics personnel. It is intended to develop the necessary instructor competencies required to provide safe and effective firearms SIRT training. During this course participants will focus exclusively and intensely on the internal workings of the SIRT, while they work to develop instructor competencies. This course will also be recognized as a Handgun Instructor Course.
As an instructor course it is expected that participants will have above average handgun manipulation and marksmanship ability. Participants are expected to invest time outside of class preparing lesson plans, presentations and range drills.
To register for the course, contact your Training Manager to assign the training to you via Acadis.
Upcoming classes are listed below. Registration does not guarantee acceptance into the class. Participants will be notified two weeks prior to the course of their registration acceptance OR any course cancellation.
If classes are full, or not available, please complete the Course Interest Survey. This is not a waiting
list, but instead helps us see if there is enough interest to create another
class. If we schedule a session, we will contact everyone who has
completed the survey and request that registration be completed.
Who can attend our classes?This class is open to active law enforcement officers who meet the prerequisites.
- Duty handgun and Patrol duty belt with a minimum of 3 magazines. All applicants should consider bringing a duplicate spare duty pistol.
- Dummy training pistol to fit your duty holster (red or blue gun)
- Off duty and concealed carry
- Two duty flashlights, or one duty flashlight and one backup
- Eye protection (including clear glasses for night firing)
- Hearing protection – electronic headphones and earplugs
- Review and be ready to discuss your agency’s firearms policies (will be comparing agencies policy to current law)
- Weapon cleaning equipment
- Body armor
- Baseball hat
- USB flash drive
Required ammunition (agency responsibility)
- 500 rounds primary handgun (clean fire required in Burien)
- 100 rounds off duty and concealed weapon ammo
- 100 rounds frangible
- A minimum of 20 dummy rounds for your duty pistol. Metal casing with plastic tips bullets preferred. Instructors prefer no plastic dummy rounds for this course.
The firearms program will be utilizing the program Box.com to help in the distribution of course documents. The links will be sent out the week prior to class. Students are required to download or print the manual and handouts and bring them to class.
Visitors not wearing agency identification will need to check in at the front desk and wear a clip-on visitor's identification card.
Class hours are 0800-1700, Monday – Friday, with the exception of State and Federal Holidays.
To cancel registration, send email to email@example.com . Cancellations must be received at least 14 days prior to class.