Basic Law Enforcement Equivalency Academy
As specified in WAC 139-05-210, a Law Enforcement agency hiring a lateral entry officer is required to complete the equivalency certification process . This includes the successful completion of the Basic Law Enforcement Equivalency Academy [BLEEA]. In compliance with the Law Enforcement Training and Community Safety Act and education about current laws and patrol tactics, the BLEEA provides instruction on the Washington Model of Policing.
In preparing for the academy, BLEEA participants will be required to complete pre-work prior to arrival to the academy session. The materials will be available electronically when the student registration process is completed by your agency. The pre-course materials include:
- Mandatory reading material such as Criminal Procedures and related Case Law materials necessary for extensive in-class discussion.
- Optional reading material to reinforce the classroom learning process.
(*BLEEA classes that satisfy several post-academy in-service training requirements)
- *Active Bystandership for Law Enforcement (ABLE)
- *Crisis Intervention Training (CIT)
- *Patrol Tactics In-Service (PTI-S)
- Criminal Procedures
- Criminal Law
- Use of Force (HB1310 legal update)
- *History of Race and Policing
- Peace Officer Certification/Revocation
- The Philosophical Warrior
Upon successful completion of the academy, the Basic Law Enforcement Equivalency certificate places the recipient in the same stead as if he/she had successfully completed the regular academy program.
Available Sessions are located in the ACADIS List of Available Training. To see classes, and for registration, please follow this link – Available Training.
Once on this training page, locate the “FILTERS” button at the top right hand side of the page.
In the “Keyword” Field type – 0080 and then hit the APPLY button.
All available Basic Law Enforcement Equivalency Academy Sessions will be displayed. For More information on each session, click the individual session.
Contact your agency ACADIS training manager to register.
Who can attend our classes?This academy is open to previously certified law enforcement officers that meet the requirements of WAC 139-05-210.
Attendees are expected to attend in their agency’s regular-issue patrol/duty uniform (including duty belt and weapon), and/or a training uniform (5.11 Tactical Pants & Department Patch Polo).
Upon hire, officers of mandated agencies who qualify for equivalency must attend the first available session following their date of hire per WAC 139-05-210.
- Mandated agencies consist of: City, County, State Universities, Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, and Railroad
- Non mandated agencies include: Tribal Police, Gambling Commission, Liquor & Cannabis Board, WA State Parks & Recreation, Arson Investigators, DNR and Reserves.
Typically, the BLEEA is attended by:
- Fully commissioned peace officers who have attained commissioned law enforcement status by completing a basic training program in this or another state
- Persons whose peace officer certification has lapsed because of a break in service for more than twenty-four months but less than sixty months.
- To read the full list of who qualifies for equivalency, see WAC 139-05-210.
BLEEA classes are typically held 0700 to 1730 Monday through Thursday.
The number of BLEEA classes held per year will vary each year depending on legislative decisions and funding. The schedules below outline all classes approved for the specified fiscal year.
CancellationAgency's wishing to cancel an applicant must notify the registrar via phone or email.
IMPORTANT: The Basic Training Division has moved to online registration through the WSCJTC Acadis Portal by agency authorized personnel. For technical questions regarding the WSCJTC Acadis Portal please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For registration questions please email email@example.com.
To register an applicant for the Basic Law Enforcement Equivalency Academy, the following prerequisites must be included:
- CJ-1251 Statement of Fitness- Including Physician Signature
- CJ- 1253 Student Liability Release
- CJ- 1262 Firearms Proficiency Test
- Copy of Curriculum or syllabus from previous BLEA training program
- Copy of Certificate from previous basic training program
- Letter of Certification
- Name and Graduation Date of Previous Basic Training Program
- Most Recent Law Enforcement Employer Information
- Comparable EVOC Completion
All forms are available for download below.
Effective May 1st, 2021:
Submitting an incomplete registration request through the Acadis Portal is allowed. However, the request will not be processed until it is completed- it will remain in the queue (Application List) until all prerequisites are attached. Doing this only guarantees a spot in the queue, incomplete requests will not secure a spot in any specific class. Complete registrations are processed into open seats daily on a first-come/first-served basis. Therefore, it is best to submit only complete registration requests, confirming all aspects of the prerequisites are completed, to secure a seat in a class.
Once a request has been submitted through the Acadis Portal, complete or incomplete, only CJTC may make changes to it. Therefore, any prerequisites needing to be attached must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Dates & Hours
|3/18/2024 - 3/28/2024
19010 1st Avenue South
Burien, WA 98148
|5/13/2024 - 5/23/2024
19010 1st Avenue South
Burien, WA 98148