Corrections Officer Equivalency Academy
The Corrections Officer Equivalency process is 24 hours in length, and represents an alternative challenge to the regular Academy program. It is available to previously employed corrections officers upon the request of the respective agency head. The academy is classroom based, and will cover the following topics:
- Combating manipulation
- Corrections Crisis Intervention Training
- Legal issues in jails
- CO survival
Upon successful completion of the academy, the Corrections Officer Equivalency certificate places the recipient in the same stead as if he/she had successfully completed the regular academy program.
Who can attend our classes?
This academy is open to correction officers who have previously completed a corrections basic academy and have been employed by a corrections agency. All applicants must meet the requirements of that meet the requirements of WAC 139-10-215.
Attendees are expected to attend in their agency’s regular-issue patrol/duty uniform (including duty belt and weapon).
Upon hire, officers of mandated agencies submit applicants for equivalency in order to attend the first available session.
- Mandated agencies: City, County, State Universities, Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, and Railroad
- Non-mandated agencies : Tribal Police, Gambling Commission, Liquor & Cannabis Board, WA State Parks & Recreation, Arson Investigators, DNR and Reserves.
Typically, the COEA is attended by:
- Full time corrections officers who have completed a corrections basic training program in this or another state
- Persons whose corrections officer employment has lapsed because of a break in service for more than twenty-four months but less than sixty months.
COEA classes are typically held 0800 to 1630 Monday through Friday.
The number of COEA classes held per year will vary each year depending on legislative decisions and funding. The schedules below outline all classes approved for the specified fiscal year.
Please note: These schedules are subject to change without notice. Training Officers must read selection notices carefully to ensure they have the correct dates.
- View our 2020 Fiscal Year class schedule.
Agency's wishing to cancel an applicant must notify the registrar via phone or email.
To register an applicant for the Corrections Officer Equivalency Academy, the following forms must be completed and submitted together. Partial applications will not be accepted, and will not serve as a placeholder for a class.
- COEA application page
- Copy of certificate from previous basic training program completed
- Copy of curriculum from previous basic training program completed
Before day one of the academy, the remaining forms listed below must be submitted. Applicants with incomplete application packets will not be allowed to attend class on day one.
- Statement of Fitness
- Student Liability Release
Application packets must be emailed to the registrar at email@example.com.
All forms are available for download below.
|Session||Session Title||Selection Date||PT Test Date||Tac/Asst. Tac||Start & End Date||Location||Status||Cost||Downloads|
|24||COEA||10/8/2019||PAT not required||Edwards||October 22-24, 2019||
19010 1st Ave S.
Burien, WA 98148
|25||COEA||3/25/2020||PAT not required||Edwards||April 7-9, 2020||
19010 1st Ave S.
Burien, WA 98148