Private Security Handgun Instructor (Certification/Recertification)
This course series is designed for Private Security/ Investigator and Bail Bond Firearms Instructors. Participants will receive Instructor Certification upon successful completion of the course.
The initial certification course is required for all Private Security and Bail Bond employees seeking firearms certification to become instructors. Afterwards, instructors can maintain their instructor certification by attending the recertification course every three years.
Participants will take a handgun qualification test on the first day of class. Successful completion is required in order to complete the class. Participants that do not pass will be removed from the class. We strongly suggest students practice before attending the course to ensure a passing score. Review all forms under "Required Forms" for more information on testing requirements.
Students who fail the optional qualification will not be able to retest on the first day of class.
Please see the required equipment below for those interested in taking the optional qualification.
Who can attend our classes?These classes are available to individuals who currently are employed by security companies and/or law enforcement agencies.
- Handgun and duty belt with holster, no shoulder, and SERPA holsters are not allowed
- At least two extra magazines - 3 total
- Eye protection (including clear glasses for night firing)
- Ear muffs and/or earplugs
- Weapon cleaning equipment
- Note paper (three-hole punched)
- Pencils and pens
- Plastic red or blue gun
- A minimum of 10 dummy rounds for semi-automatic pistol
- Baseball Cap
- Body Armor
Required ammunition for initial certification course
- Minimum 600 Lead Free rounds for primary handgun (or Full Metal Jacket).
Required ammunition for recertification course
- Minimum 300 Lead Free rounds for primary handgun (or Full Metal Jacket)
Requirements for optional qualification
- Minimum 200 Lead Free rounds for primary handgun (or Full Metal Jacket)
- Optional Equipment for all classes:
- Water Bottle
- Knee Pads
- Concealed Carry Holster (if owned)
Visitors attending training at the WSCJTC are encouraged to wear their agency logo shirt/uniform or agency ID badge while on campus.
Visitors not wearing agency identification can attend classes in business casual attire. They will need to check in at the front desk and wear a clip-on visitor's identification card.
RegulationThe WSCJTC is mandated to issue Firearms Instructor Certification per WAC 139-37-005.
Follow this link to view scheduled PS Instructor Courses held at WSCJTC.
- Click on “Filters” type
- Click on “Program;” choose “PS/PI/BBRA (ATD-PS/PI/BBRA)” and then Apply.
To register for this course, applicants will need to submit the following forms:
- CJTC Form 732 – PSPI Instructor Course Application
- List of instructor credentials or copy of certificates for all courses- list name of credential, date of credentialing and the state in which it was received.
- Letter of interest for the course
- If employed by a company, please provide the owner's contact information.
Applications packets are accepted on a first come, first served basis and must be uploaded to the PSPI Document Drop Box. Incomplete application packets or packets missing signatures may not be processed.
Classes will be cancelled if enrollment is low. To ensure the class is not cancelled, please submit your application materials in as far advance as possible. Fees are non-refundable.
Please use the Record of Firearms Qualification form to practice before attending basic handgun certification as this will be used the first day of class and students that do not shoot a qualifying score will be dismissed. Fees are non-refundable.