DUI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) Basic Course
This course is hosted by the Washington State Patrol.
During this 24-hour course, law enforcement officers will learn:
• How to recognize behavior that points towards impaired driving;
• The importance of the SFST battery, and how to properly administer the tests;
• When to make an impaired driving arrest;
• How to write accurate and detailed reports;
• How to give clear and convincing testimony.
Officers will receive instruction on how to conduct thorough impaired driving investigations, under- stand the scientifically tested methods to detect, screen, and process impaired drivers. On the final day of the course, students will participate in a practical wet lab exercise, where they will be able to test on their SFST administration.
Students should be a state certified or commissioned law enforcement officer, and must be currently employed by a law enforcement agency. To attend, officers must possess a valid Washington State breath test instrument (BAC) operator permit.